Sunday, November 2, 2008

Install Pine for Ubuntu

I thought it would be nice having a native mail client for the system but setting up a mumbo-jumbo mega client for a mail-system rarely used just seems stupid. I figured I'm going for command-line... But the only command line e-mail client that I know of worth knowing is Pine (I'm not a Emacs guy) and a licence issue hinders Pine from being distributed in binary form.

So I compiled a micro how-to based on my own findings:

Get the source: pine.tar.gz

Additionally install the following:
apt-get install libpam0g-dev libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev

Unpack pine sources and build:
cd /usr/local/src/
tar -xvzf somewhere/pine.tar.gz
cd pine4.c4
./build ldb
su
cd ../../bin/
ln -s /usr/local/src/pine4.64/bin/pine


Done!

4 comments:

  1. i tried this on ubuntu 10.10 and it fail with errors. do you have updated instructions that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    the system I run this on is a server which I try not to update it too often since it involves a lot of work getting all services up and running. So no, I haven't tried this on Ubuntu 10.10.

    However, providing you have send-mail/postfix set up properly, it should not be too different from the 9.04 LTS my server is running on.

    What exactly is the problem? Is it build/install related or is it run-time related?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article. Exactly what I am looking for. But I when issue the >>sudo ./build ldb command, I get an error. The end of the build process output is as follows:

    ln: failed to create symbolic link 'pi_unix.c': File exists

    make[3]: ***[onceenv] Error 1
    make[2]: ***[lnp] Error 2
    make[1]: ***[ldb] Error 2

    Problems building c-client

    Please check the output above for a possible explanation of this failure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems something already created that link for you. Did you build once before? Try finding that link and see where it points.

    ReplyDelete